Barefoot Contessa Easy Buttermilk Ranch
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 11/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup good mayonnaise (yes, I use Hellmann's, this is one thing I need to make homemade, if you have a good recipe please share it/link it in the comments! thank you!)
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt, such as Fage Total (BTW I am NOT a fan of lowfat anything, however the 2% is all we had at our local grocery store. I have found in my area I can only find Whole Fage at Whole Foods in Franklin)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken
Place the scallions, basil, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Puree for 15 to 20 seconds to make a smooth mixture. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, and buttermilk and blend until smooth.
Transfer the dressing to a container, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour for the flavors to develop.
I enjoyed this over a simple salad made with local mixed greens and tomatoes.
I make my own Mayonnaise now. I have tried a couple of different recipes but this one is the easiest and quickest. I prefer to use a Safflower oil because it isn't as strong tasting. But I have made it with Olive and Canola. I use this for everything from homemade tartar and homemade Big Mac sauce, salad dressings and pretty much anything that needs Mayo :o) I have made it with just plain vinegar and plain mustard powder and with or without garlic and it turns out fine. Best after it has been in the fridge for an hour.
Mayonnaise in a blender
2 whole eggs
10 fl oz (285 ml) of vegetable or olive oil
1 tsp of white wine vinegar
1 tsp of dry English mustard powder
1 crushed clove of garlic
salt and pepper
Place the eggs into the blender or food processor, along with the mustard, garlic, salt and pepper and blend together.
Pour all of the oil into the blender in a steady stream whilst the machine is operating, so that it is immediately whisked into the egg yolk mixture.
Switch off the machine and taste the mayonnaise. Add the vinegar and any extra seasoning to taste and whisk together one last time.
I just found your site and I am IN LOVE. So many great ideas and recipes. Keep up the good work!!ReplyDelete